Click here to read "Licensing with Laura."
Bureaucratic red tape is putting too many good jobs out of reach for hardworking Nebraskans.
About 24 percent of jobs in Nebraska require a government license. These permission slips to work are needed in nearly 200 different professions, and many of us can’t afford the expensive and lengthy requirements.
Fortunately, in 2018, the Nebraska Legislature passed the Occupational Board Reform Act. This new law requires the Legislature to review all state job licensing laws every five years.
The purpose of the review is to identify less restrictive alternatives to licensing, placing fewer unnecessary barriers in the way of Nebraska’s workers and businesses.
Over the next five years, with the help of the Laura Ebke, our Senior Fellow for Job Licensing Reform, the Platte Institute will remain engaged in Nebraska’s new job licensing review. At this page, we'll report on the progress the Legislature makes when it comes to removing barriers to more and better businesses and more and better jobs.
Check out the research and articles below for more information about job licensing reform in Nebraska:
Licensing with Laura: An Article Series on Job Licensing Reform by Laura Ebke
- When and Why Should We License Jobs? And When Shouldn't We?
- Seeking Legitimacy Through Licensing
- Punishing Initiative and Innovation
- Medieval Guilds and Modern Occupational Licensing Reform
- Editorial: A Model for Licensing Reform – Wall Street Journal
- Editorial: Bill Could Build Employment Opportunities – Grand Island Independent
- Editorial: Cost of Government Licensing Should be Scrutinized – Omaha World-Herald
- Editorial: Occupational License Rules Need Review – Lincoln Journal Star
- Letters to Nebraska State Senators on Occupational Licensing Reform – Federal Trade Commission, Office of Policy Planning
- The State of Occupational Licensure in Nebraska – Mercatus Center at George Mason University
- How Much Households Could Save Under Licensing Reform – Salim Furth, Heritage Foundation
- License to Work 2nd Edition: A National Study of Occupational Licensing – Institute for Justice
- Occupational Licensing: A Framework for Policymakers – The White House
News and Opinion
- Nebraska: A National Leader in Job Licensing Reform – Platte Institute
- Nebraska Governor Signs Landmark Reform for Occupational Licensing – Institute for Justice
- Streamlining Nebraska’s 200 Occupational Licenses Focus of Proposed Bill – KETV Channel 7 Omaha
- Occupational Licensing Blunts Competition and Boosts Inequality – The Economist
- Nebraska Just Passed a Major Occupational Licensing Reform Measure. Here’s Why It Matters. – Reason Magazine
- Job Licensing: When Hard Work Can Earn You Hard Time – Investor’s Business Daily
- Job Licensing Needs to Make Sense and Work for Nebraskans – Grand Island Independent
- Guest Opinion: Licensing Reform Would Boost Nebraska Job Growth – Lincoln Journal Star
- Study: Nebraska Can Reach Top 5 for New Jobs with Licensing Reform – Platte Institute Colum
- VIDEO: New Business Created Thanks to New Law - Platte Institute
- VIDEO: Violet’s Story – Foundation for Government Accountability featuring Violet Banks and Nicole Fox
- VIDEO: Platte Institute, Removing Barriers for Nebraskans – Platte Institute